Tuesday 18 February 2014

Pidhaitsi

On monday morning, i left univ monastery. I have to say that i was very sad to leave i became used to many things there and the way of life; and of corse i will miss the monks! Ill tell ya one thing thoug, my feet are glad to have a rest from 4-6 hour prayer days. My feet have blisters from the monastery- and i wasnt even going anywhere!!! Just from standing in one spot. Because much of that 4-6 hours is standing in one spot; there aint no pews. There are benchesbat the sides, which by the 3rd week, i gave up on any of my pridefulness and made full use of them when i could. I am now visiting my "adopted family" in the ton of pidhaitsi. 6 years ago, when i first visited ukraine, they took me under their wing, an showed me a real experienc of ukraine (as i have no known family of my own in ukraine). They welcomed me back with open arms again.they are just great. At the monastery, i would get homesick or lonely every once in a while; today at baba and didos house, with the family sitting together in the living room, i felt i was with my own family. It was great. They feed me way too much though. I am very glad that we only eat 2 meals a day (even though it seems like were eating constantly through the day-- which we are). And as part o their hospitality, they always serve me a little more than everyone else; it makes me feel very bad-- that i have 2 cutlets when Oleg, the father, a working man bigger than i am- has only one). But at the same time, i dont want to insilt them by refusing the food. praise the Lord. Yesterday we had samohonka (homebrew vodka) made feom birch tree juice . 60 proof. Wonderful. Praise the Lord. And if i was worried about what i should and shouldnt eat in ukraine, i can throw that out the window (whici kind of did at the monastery already). But at the monastery, i could choose wjat i put on my plate. Here, not so. I can just hope for the bes and take charcoal tablets if need be (which i have restocked in) And, as i have now learnt, if you want to seriously learn a new language, dont go to a monastery, stay with a family. Ive ad so many conversation only in ukrainian in the past 2 days! And get this, i can understand most of wat is going on (and i think they at least get the jist of what i say). Thanks pani marijka!! Also, after watching the news today, i am really hoping that there wont be a civil war in ukraine. That wouldnt be good. I couldnt understand what they were saying, but based on what rhe family was saying, an the videos on the news, it dont look good. But, dont worry, mum, i am in a small village hundreda of kilometers away from kyiv. Praise the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment